Monday, November 12, 2012

Sig P226 MK25 Holster...The eternal search.


Well, buying the gun was just the first part.  Now I would need to accessorize the purchase with accouterments necessary for what I planned on using it for.  I fully intend to shoot International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) competitive events.  This would require some gear to be able to compete.  The basic requirements are a holster for the gun and one to hold 2 magazines.

I started my research online.  Already having bookmarked several dozen sites associated with gear or options specifically for my Sig P226 MK25, I noticed each of these sites specifically lacked holsters.  Further reading on forums shed a little light into the problem folks were having.  It turns out the MK25 version of the 226 has full Picatinny M1913 rails.  These are slightly larger than the standard Sig rails provided on other models so holsters can be hard to come by.

Off to the range I went to spend some quality time with my new purchase.  When I arrived I decided to take some time and discuss what my options are with one of the representatives behind the counter.  I approached with three options I had found on their racks: Sig P226 Paddle Holster, Blackhawk SERPA Level 2 Sportster, and IMI Sig P226 Polymer holster.  Each stated they were designed for Sig P226 w/rails, provided retention devices to ensure security, are fully cant adjustable, and would be legal in IDPA competition.

We took some time to fit the MK25 into each holster.  The only one that would actually accept the MK25 version of the P226 was the Blackhawk, model SIG 220/225/226 w/ or w/o rail 06R.  It is a little tight, but that would be expected from a brand new holster.  I have been playing around with drawing and inserting for a bit now, it is starting to break in nicely. For $34 you cannot go wrong.

I highly recommend a good quality belt that is fitted properly.  As this is a paddle mount holster, any play in the belt will be noticeable in your draw.





3 comments:

  1. And how is the holster now? I am getting the MK25 soon, and i am looking at my options for the holster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since given this holster to a friend. It was not the fit for the firearm I did not like, it was the paddle style that ultimately did me in. I ended up getting a CrossBreed (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com) and have not looked back. Go with the 226 w/rails and it will fit fine.

      Delete
  2. Which crossbreed did you end up getting? I got my gun yesterday...

    ReplyDelete